|About Laser Petroleum Geoscience centre|
|Thursday, 07 August 2008 07:44|
Laser Engineering started about eighteen years ago and her vision is primarily to utilize local resources in solving the intellectual problems in the Nigerian oil and gas industry. As part of her mission, Laser is committed to training young Nigerian graduates to enable them acquire skill that will properly prepare them to work in the industry. We not only enrich the knowledge of the Nigerian graduates on the theory of oil and gas business, but we get them involved in field development studies. The results of this effort are acknowledged in the Nigerian oil and gas industry. Laser trained Nigerian graduates play dominant roles in both oil operating and servicing companies in Nigeria.
In 2006, the Nigerian Government announced plans to establish practical institutions that will properly prepare our young secondary school leavers and university graduates. The vision of the government for this program is focused on the development of skills and talents, provision of industrial and practical experience in such areas as engineering construction, oil and gas, information technology, etc, for the nation’s industries. The programme further seeks to increase private sector participation in the provision of Technical and Vocational Education (TVET) and Training Institutions.
The Managing Consultant of Laser Engineering and Resources Consultants Limited who is also a Professor of Petroleum and Gas Engineering in the University of Port Harcourt in a bid to fulfill his vision of training young graduates responded and collaborated with the Government in developing the Geoscience curriculum. In 2007, Laser received a license to formally set up our Geoscience Practical School.
The Laser Geoscience School offers an integrated course program with a wide range of taught courses and practical work and provision of world-class teaching and research facilities. Laser Engineering and Resources Consultants one of the largest Consultancy firms in Nigeria has confidently established this school as a centre of excellence for Petroleum Geoscience for both Nigerian and worldwide recruitment. Pioneer students are expected to start by October 2008 and graduate in the next six months leading to the award of Diploma in Applied Petroleum Geoscience.
The Laser Geoscience School is therefore a private, independent, Diploma-awarding institution/ training centre whose mission reflects these core values: Excellence in Scholarship, Dedication to Free Inquiry, Integrity of Character and Commitment to Humanity.
To establish a center of excellence in practical geoscience education and research that will produce world class geoscientists and oil and gas business leaders that will properly harness our abundant oil and gas resources in an efficient and sustainable manner and to the satisfaction of all stakeholders
· To meet the needs of the petroleum industry through a commitment to excellence in training, applied research, continuing education and capacity building.
· To equip current graduates with world class skills for capacity building as well as to provide a study centre at the forefront of training and research in petroleum geosciences.
· To advance Nigerian’s economic growth through the maximization of human potential through excellence in technological training.
· To develop local content by training, equipping and developing young Nigerians with world class skills who will be recognized and accepted worldwide in the oil and gas industry.
· To create opportunities for Nigerian graduates to acquire theoretical and practical skills, knowledge and values for life long learning in a global economy and to give Nigerian graduates an on the job training for skill acquisition.
· To build a full-fledged, world class training centre with excellent state-of-the art facilities.
· To contribute to poverty reduction through human resources development and youth empowerment with applicable skills
The school achieves its mission by educating men and women of diverse backgrounds and cultures to
v Think critically, write and speak clearly;
v Succeed in their professions and careers;
v Behave ethically in all aspects of their lives.
1. Reservoir Management Studies
2. PVT Laboratory Services
3.Environmental Laboratory Services
4. Slickline Services
5. Manpower Development/Laser Petroleum Geoscience Center